I was invited by Criz to attend this food review session organized by Ms. Saigon at E-gate. It's the first time I join a food review session together with other food bloggers, so it's kinda interesting. I've never visited this restaurant before.

Back to the food review. Miss Saigon Vietnamese Cuisine is located next to Old Town Kopitiam at E-gate. Upon arrival, we were served with pandan taste water.

The Street Food Corner menu is categorized in a few categories and it's distinguish by colours in the menu. There are summer rolls, exotic side, salad, rice noodles and vietnamese sandwiches.

I will pick and review a few of the food served but not all of them due to I did not get to taste some of them.

First they served us with all types of summer rolls available in their menu which are Traditional Northern and Southern Rolls, Farmer's Egg Rolls, Fresh Vegetable Rolls, Southern fish Rolls, Classic Hor Fun Rolls (Chicken / Beef).

Farmer's Egg Rolls
- vegetables wrapped in thinly fried egg. It was served with some sauce which tasted sweet and sour to me. Nothing special bout this dish though.

Traditional Northern Rolls - A very thin layer of rice paper were used to wrapped vege and sliced prawn. Taste wise - taste just like salad without any mayo.

Crisp Fried Hanoi Rolls - This one taste good where the mushroom added fragrant into this dish. Some minced meat, mushroom, egg and vegetables are wrapped in rice paper then deep fried. Although it's fried, but it's not too oily. Pardon me for the blurred picture.


Wok-fried Flower Chicken - This is a special dish where Pergularia flowers are used to stir fried with chicken breast. The Pergularia flower taste mild and sweet. But overall this dish tasted more at the salty side to my tastebud.

For beef lovers, there's a Beef version for this dish.

Ms. Saigon served a wide variety of salad from mango salad, papaya salad, Ms. Saigon Salad, glass noodle salad to jellyfish salad. Most of their salad taste more to sourly side which is appetizing.

Sour Green Mango Salad
- Except mangoes, grounded peanuts, sesame, onion and prawns are used to garnished the salad. The prawn used is very fresh and not over cooked.

Jellyfish Salad - The jellyfish is very crunchy. Taste is similar to other type of salad.


Traditional Southern Chicken BUN - Laksa noodle served with chicken, mint leaves, bean sprout, lettuce and cucumber strips in clear broth which taste a bit like our laksa taste. It tasted sour but not spicy.
A beef version is available too.


Frog Curry with Garlic Spiced Baguette - The curry is too thick to my liking. According to my bf, the garlic spiced baguette is very garlicky. Suitable for those who love garlic. I am a big NO NO to garlic. But the baguette tasted slightly burnt.

Vietnamese Street Baguette (Chicken / Beef) - According to the owner, the speciality for this sandwich is the spread. There are some tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, ham and sausage in this sandwich. The spread tasted slightly weird to me. I prefer mine with thousand island spread still.


Grilled chicken T-shaped wings - I like this chicken wings. The shape looks more like a mini drumstick to me. It's nicely grilled with a hint of lemongrass fragrant in it. The meat is tender and juicy.

Traditional Vietnamese Chicken PHO - taste like a Malay version of koay teow teng to me. This dish was served with some yau char koay (which taste pretty hard), some lettuce and bean sprout. The presentation of the vegetables is very unique. You were supposed to add in some of the lettuce and bean sprout into the noddles before you eat it.
This is also available in beef version.

The prawns and lettuce used are fresh. As the ingredients use for most dishes are normal, I feel that food prices are slightly over priced.

Overall I feel that the food served were not agreeable with my tastebud. Maybe Vietnamese cuisine is not my cup of tea?

Anyway, thanks to Ms. Saigon for organizing this food review as I get to taste so many Vietnamese food at the same time.

11 comments

  1. CRIZ LAI // Nov 17, 2008, 11:39:00 PM  

    I guessed Vietnamese food does not suit some of our local taste buds. Anyway, it's nice to meet up with you finally. :)

  2. cariso // Nov 17, 2008, 11:40:00 PM  

    Can give photoshooting lesson or not?! to me...:)

  3. Anonymous // Nov 18, 2008, 12:04:00 AM  

    Finally get to meet you in Miss Saigon :)

  4. New Kid on the Blog // Nov 18, 2008, 8:00:00 AM  

    They have been wanting to meet you?? :)
    Nice photo shoot...

  5. Anonymous // Nov 18, 2008, 8:31:00 AM  

    Wow, what a nice experience of u guys!! Anyway, personally, I don't quite fancy Vietnamese food...

  6. -j- // Nov 18, 2008, 9:46:00 AM  

    food looks good in pictures but i personally am not a fan of vietnamese food.

  7. J2Kfm // Nov 18, 2008, 1:53:00 PM  

    so you dun like Viet food?
    the excessive garlic also probably Viet cuisine heavily-influenced by French cuisine. baguette and all.

  8. Allie // Nov 18, 2008, 1:56:00 PM  

    Criz,
    Nice to meet you too!

    Cariso,
    ACtually I'm a begineer too. Still in learning stage. But if you want, we can share some opinion.
    :-)

    CK,
    Nice to meet you too.

  9. Allie // Nov 18, 2008, 1:58:00 PM  

    NKOB,
    I think it's because I've missed out the previous few gatherings.
    Thanks! I"m in learning stage still.

  10. Penang Tua Pui // Nov 18, 2008, 2:01:00 PM  

    seems like MS Allie is very famous now.. every one can't wait to see her joining the Penang Food Blogger Community....

  11. email2me // Nov 18, 2008, 7:13:00 PM  

    Nice photo shoot ... Add another big flash makes it perfect!