Ah Leng char koay teow (ckt) is another famous stall of ckt which is located opoosite Honolulu Cafe along Jalan Dato Keramat.


The big sized prawn and mantis prawn is the top selling point of this ckt.

As usual the stall owner is helped out by his lovely daugther.

We normally order a bowl of hokkien mee to ease our hungry stomach while waiting for our plate of ckt.

The hokkien mee taste very normal. The soup base is taste average and the chili is not too spicy.

I think we chose the wrong day to visit this stall as the number of people who were there for ckt were a lot more than usual. That was a weekend with long holiday. We observed that most of the customers were visitors.
End up we had waited for 45 mins for our ckt. That was the longest I've waited. Luckily we had the hokkien mee to ease our hunger.

When the ckt was served, to my disappointment there were only 2 big sized prawns. I used to have 3 big sized prawns during my few last visits there. Wondering why...

Anyway the taste remain good. The prawns were big and succulent.

My plate of ckt with mantis prawn instead of normal prawn. There were few big chunks of mantis prawns.

It tasted good but slightly different from the normal ckt with prawn. The mantis prawn added another type of fragrant into the ckt.

Business hour: 8.00 am - 2.00pm (Closed on Thursday)

You can order a normal type of ckt or a special one. The normal type (RM 4.50) is like the one we've ordered while the special (RM8.00) one would have big sized prawn together with mantis prawn. Additional 50 cent would be charged if you opt of duck egg instead.

It's consider rather pricey for ckt, but considering the big sized prawn we have nothing to say.

Map for those who are not familiar


View here for larger map.

9 comments

  1. email2me // Jan 18, 2009, 1:54:00 PM  

    This will be on my hit list to be revisit when I am back to PG for CNY celebration. Miss it soooooooooooo much. No other place can replace Ah Leng's CKT.

  2. pigpigscorner // Jan 18, 2009, 4:10:00 PM  

    wow looks really yummy. I've never had CKT with mantis prawns, I've got to try this!

  3. -j- // Jan 18, 2009, 8:27:00 PM  

    looks good. must go try.

  4. Allie // Jan 18, 2009, 11:27:00 PM  

    email2me,
    So you'll be back to PG for CNY.. :)

    pigpigscorner,
    Hope you'll like it.

  5. New Kid on the Blog // Jan 19, 2009, 7:46:00 AM  

    the last I went was 1 year ago. guess it's time to re-visit again.

  6. Food Paradise // Jan 19, 2009, 8:02:00 AM  

    I always want to visit but hard to get a car park. lol

  7. Anonymous // Jan 19, 2009, 10:07:00 AM  

    time for me to revisit as well this CNY. it's been a year plus since I last eaten there.. hope the quality still remains :)

  8. cariso // Jan 19, 2009, 5:39:00 PM  

    Not courageous to find out why only 2 prawns?! Scared get scolded?! :p

  9. Steven Goh // Jan 19, 2009, 6:33:00 PM  

    ah leng char koay teow is one of the best char koay teow stall in Penang. I think his stall getting famous after the visit of Kennysia. Now he easily got 100 over cust per day.