I was being invited by Penang Tua Pui to a gathering cum food review at Dragon-i with the famous baker Big Boys Oven (BBO) and other bloggers. It was a great experience to dine with all of them. Thanks again to BBO for arranging the dinner!

Sid from BBO shared his blogging idea with us. It was very informative listening to him sharing on some blogging experiences and his thought.

We were first served with a few cold dishes. One of it was Chilled Chicken Marinated with 'Hua Diao' Wine. The chicken was steam to perfect timing which produce tender and smooth meat. The chicken was then chilled and served with hua diao wine. The small amount of wolf berries added some sweetness to the chicken.

Next up was Jelly Fish with Sesame Oil. This dish tasted quite mild where only sesame oil fragrant is present. The jelly fish is crunchy where you'll like to chew on it more.

The Shanghainese Smoked Fish tasted a bit hard. And the sauce is slightly too sweet to my liking.

Their signature dish Shanghainese Steamed Meat Dumpling (xiao lung bao) never disappoint me every time I visit this restaurant. A good amount of soup is conceal underneath the dumpling skin. This dumpling is to be eaten with shredded ginger in vinegar.

The Sauteed Shrimp in Sichuan Style was served in a garlicky sweet and sour sauce. I am not a big fan of prawn.

Deep Fried Crispy Duck was served with popiah skin, cucumber and spring onions. The way to eat this dish is to wrap the duck, cucumber and spring onion with a popiah skin together with some sauce. The piece of duck I ate was quite dry. I think it's because I took the breast part.

Shanghainese Braised Pork Belly with Beancurd Leaves is the one dish that I resisted to put into my mouth due to the thick layer of fats attached to the meat. The meat and the gravy taste a bit sweet. I tried a small piece of the non-fat meat, and this is why I can tell how it taste like.

This dish was to be eaten with Deep Fried Man Tau. Dipped the man tau into the braised pork belly sauce and savour the soft man tau.

Braised Mushroom with Mixed Vegetable was served to neutralise the fatty pork. The chinese cabbage is soft and coated with scallop gravy.

Next up was another signature dish of this restaurant which is la mian. Fried La Mian with Black Pepper Chicken was served. The noodle is fried to the right timing which leave the texture to be quite QQ with a strong black pepper taste.


After the main dishes, it's dessert time! We were served with 2 types of desserts. The first was Souffle Egg White Ball with Red Bean Paste and Banana. The red bean filling is over generous for me as I feel that it's too sweet although I'm a sweet tooth person.

The 2nd dessert was mango dessert. A few types of fruits (dragon fruit, watermelon, honeydew and pamelo) were served with some mango puree and sago. I love this dessert as the mango puree was sweet and cooling.

Big Boys Oven bought us some desserts made by them too. It's simply wonderful to be able to taste their macarons and california (if I remember the name correctly).

I've been drooling and wondering how the macarons would taste like when I read them blogged about making macarons. Now, I can taste it out myself. So happy!

They baked us 2 types of flavour which were hazelnut and almond. The macarons taste a bit too sweet for me, but according to Sunny that's the optimum amount of sugar to be blended in. I like the hazelnut flavour macarons as it has a strong hazelnut aroma. I am a great fan of hazelnut.


As for the California, the cake is soft and in between there are some salty butter.

Overall it's a satisfying dinner with Big Boys Oven and other bloggers.

Some random shots to share:



** The picture illustrated could be different if you were to dine at Dragon-i on the same dishes as this were designed to suit a group of 10 people dining.

6 comments

  1. Rebecca Saw // Dec 23, 2008, 12:39:00 PM  

    wow! u do tk great clear pics!

  2. Anonymous // Dec 23, 2008, 1:59:00 PM  

    We really had an enjoyable dinner at this place :)

  3. email2me // Dec 25, 2008, 4:18:00 PM  

    Nice pictures :)

  4. New Kid on the Blog // Dec 26, 2008, 6:41:00 PM  

    wow, so lucky??? :(

  5. cariso // Dec 26, 2008, 7:35:00 PM  

    Hey, your filling of that tau sar is too much but the one I had was too little! Aiks...not evenly distributed uh?! Your shots are SOOOOOO NICE !!!!!

  6. Anonymous // Dec 30, 2008, 7:50:00 PM  

    beautiful shots...
    nice to meet you :)