Dry Bak Kut Teh, the banner attracted me to this food court which is located opposite Tesco Extra at Sungai Dua. Dry bak kut teh (bkt) is common at KL but not in Penang.

Seong Huat foodcourt offers a wide variety of hawker food such as wantan mee, char koay teow, claypot mee, curry mee, taiwan crispy chicken and etc.

Dry bkt in a claypot. There are some ladies finger in it which is rather special because the one I ate at KL doesn't come with it. There are also some dried squid and enoki mushroom in it.

It tasted very fragrant as the stall onwer stir fried all the ingredients before put into a claypot. The whole pot of bkt is wonderfully pungent with the combination of bird chili, dried cuttlefish, thick soy sauce and dried chili.

Yam rice to eat with the bkt, which just tasted pretty normal. But who cares, the dry bkt goes well even with plain rice.


My plate of char koay teow (ckt) as I am not a fan of rice. Suprisingly, the ckt taste good. It's not too dry and quite spicy just to my liking.

Map for those who are not familiar:

View larger map here

10 comments

  1. Anonymous // Dec 11, 2008, 10:00:00 PM  

    wow, dry BKT, will sure check it out! yummy!

  2. jlshyang // Dec 11, 2008, 10:16:00 PM  

    wow, dry bak kut teh in Penang. Finally! I wonder if it's as good as the one in Klang.

  3. CRIZ LAI // Dec 12, 2008, 12:43:00 AM  

    I have been hunting down all the dry Klang style BKT in Penang and none tasted as great as the one I had in Klang. I hope this one would not disappoint me. I'll pop in one of these nights.

    Any idea the stall open from what time to what time as my dinner time can be quite odd.. hehe :P

    http://crizfood.com/

  4. J2Kfm // Dec 12, 2008, 7:58:00 AM  

    hymm, quite near to USM?
    but never seen or heard b4.

    the ones in Klang has lots of dried cuttlefish, and dried chillies, hence the stronger and thicker taste/

  5. Pete // Dec 12, 2008, 3:42:00 PM  

    Love to try it out on my next trip back. The Sun Heng Dry BKT in Sunway Damansara, KL taste good but looks darker.

  6. worldwindows // Dec 12, 2008, 5:20:00 PM  

    With ladies fingers in BKT pot. A first for me!

  7. Allie // Dec 12, 2008, 10:00:00 PM  

    Simple Girl,
    Do check it out and waiting for your review.

    jlshyang,
    This one is good but I think still not compatible to the one in Klang.

  8. Allie // Dec 12, 2008, 10:01:00 PM  

    Criz,
    I've no idea of the stall business hour. Sorry.
    Hope this dry bak kut teh doesn't disappoint you.

    J2Kfm,
    Ya. It's near USM. IF not mistaken it's a new foodcourt.

  9. Allie // Dec 12, 2008, 10:02:00 PM  

    Pete,
    This one is not that dry if compare to the one at Klang.

    worldwindows,
    It's the first for me too. :)
    Lucikly I like vegetable.

  10. Jo // Dec 14, 2008, 8:34:00 PM  

    I thought I was seeing things .. dry BKT, now this is a new one to me. And ladies fingers in it as well ... but it sure does look yummy!