Gurney Drive is one of the landmark for Penang Tourism. I remember during my visits to Penang when I was small (I am not Penang Lang), my uncle will brought us eat at Gurney Drive. We enjoy so much as we saw so many types of food for us to choose from.

Now I'm working in Penang, I like to eat at Gurney drive still. But I only eat from a few specific stalls. The stall that I like is Fried Lok Lok.

You can choose your favourite ingredients and the stall owner will deep fried it on the spot for you.

I chose some seafood tofu, fish ball, meat ball, taiwan sausages and squids. The squids taste good as the batter used to fried the squid is fragrant with some pepper taste.

Here are some shots of what is available for you to choose.

The sauce to dip your fried items in. There are satay sauce and normal chili sauce.

Normally I'd have a bowl of laksa to go with my fried items. But on my visit that day, I spotted this char koay teow (ckt) stall. It's written The Cantonment Road Famous ckt and it attracted me. The ckt taste good with the wok hei fragrant and it's not too oily. I noticed that you can order the special ckt which cost RM 9. I guess the special one is the one with added big prawns. But my favourite ckt would still be Ah Leng ckt which mantis prawns will be added for a special plate of ckt.

My bf ordered wan tan mee. It taste normal, but the dark soy sauce is slightly too much to my liking.
And not forgetting rojak as our dessert. We bought it from stall #77. I found that the rojak has too little grounded peanuts. I like mine with lots of grounded peanuts to goes with the shrimp paste. Taste wise, ok.
The drink (leng chi kang) tasted too bland.


Map for those who are not familiar:


View here for larger map

17 comments

  1. Selby // Dec 19, 2008, 3:36:00 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  2. Selba // Dec 19, 2008, 3:38:00 PM  

    The fried Lok Lok reminds me to Old Chang Kee, but this one got more varieties...

    The rojak is totally different than the ones in Indonesia :D

  3. Lisa // Dec 19, 2008, 3:59:00 PM  

    wah very sinful dishes

  4. -j- // Dec 19, 2008, 4:19:00 PM  

    wow fried lok lok looks good!!! i am so going there now!!!

  5. J2Kfm // Dec 19, 2008, 4:30:00 PM  

    HAHA ... as if anyone needs a map to THE Gurney Drive. :)

    the fried loklok was the only thing that's attractive though.
    esp the fried chicken skin.

  6. Anonymous // Dec 19, 2008, 5:33:00 PM  

    I miss the rojak and FKT at Gurney Drive hawkers...but hate the jam during holiday season haha!

  7. email2me // Dec 19, 2008, 6:49:00 PM  

    I go Gurney mainly for their Fruits Rojak and Muar Chee .. hehehe ... sweet tooth problem .... as you can see at my earlier post for Gurney Drive

  8. CRIZ LAI // Dec 19, 2008, 8:14:00 PM  

    Well, this stall had expanded quite well over the years. I still remember that they had barely a few choices when the whole food area wasn't renovated yet. Now... gosh.. can I have more please? :P

    http://crizfood.com/

  9. Food Paradise // Dec 19, 2008, 8:44:00 PM  

    When we drop by gurney drive, most of time we will order some of the deep fried lok lok too. lol

  10. Anonymous // Dec 19, 2008, 9:36:00 PM  

    If you like Penang Hawker Food, try the Cecil Street Hawker Centre. It operates from 7am till 7pm.

    Traditional Lok lok (not fried) is also excellent at Supertanker.

    I do not fancy the Gurney Drive Hawker Centre except it is the only contribution of former CEO KTK.

    I still yearned for the old hawker lines-up at the Gurney waterfront promenade which were chased to the present hawker centre during his reign.

    Tourism has lost alot from this natural old touch.

  11. gill gill // Dec 19, 2008, 11:49:00 PM  

    looks tempting :) We barely go for gurney drive hawker unless we have to entertain the out station and overseas friends and family members.

    For a tourism area sells at RM9 CKT per plate?! It is truly over price for locals.

  12. Little Inbox // Dec 20, 2008, 12:11:00 PM  

    Don't know why, I just can take a little of deep fried lok lok only, cuz my tummy will easily full with this stuff. So, I would rather go for normal boiled lok lok instead of this.

  13. Allie // Dec 20, 2008, 9:58:00 PM  

    Selba,
    Thanks for visiting! I would like to try out Indonesia rojak when I visit there!

    Lisa,
    Truly agree with you, very sinful.. but taste good.

  14. Allie // Dec 20, 2008, 9:59:00 PM  

    Duckie,
    Did you try the fried lok lok?

    J2Kfm,
    I tried the fried chicken skin before, but don't think I like it. :-p

  15. Allie // Dec 20, 2008, 10:00:00 PM  

    SimpleGirl,
    It's always jam at that area... wonder why?

    email2me,
    I like their muar chee too.

  16. Allie // Dec 20, 2008, 10:01:00 PM  

    Criz,
    Now there are so many types of food to choose from...

    Food Paradise,
    yea. Gimme 5!

  17. Penang Tua Pui // Dec 22, 2008, 1:37:00 PM  

    hmm... I had shot about this too.. u are fast....

    btw... i like most of the shot.. nicely done.. loving.