It's has been quite sometimes since my last visit to Teo Chew Meng. As we all know, the signature dish would be the mee suah kor and seafood porridge. So, it's time for revisit and I visited their outlet at Sunway Tunas.


As I've tried both of the signature dish, I would like to try something new. Flogger ma... must try something new then only can introduce new food to other people ma. Hehehe...

I ordered fish fillet tomyam and a curry chicken rice set. I think this curry chicken rice set is something new in the menu.
The outlook is quite impressive. But the taste is very disappointing. The soup is not hot and not spicy enough. Only sour taste is present. The fish fillet is very hard.


Curry chicken rice set looks very normal. The curry chicken also not hot. I wonder why? Taste is very normal. Nothing much to brag about.

There's one piece of chicken and 2 pcs of potato in the curry.This set come with a drink and a dessert (an option of ice cream and gui ling gao). Gui ling gao taste good.
We ordered this crab cake. Forgot the name. This one taste good. A combination of fish, prawn and crab meat in this dish.
Small crab shells are used to prepare this dish. So cute.

Overall I am very disappointed with the dinner. Maybe is because we 'ke gao gao' and order those funny funny dish?

14 comments

  1. Anonymous // Oct 19, 2008, 11:23:00 PM  

    You are not the only one to complain abt the deteriorating standard of the food @ Teo Chew Meng. Lots of folks I know have been saying that too.

    After hearing so many complaints abt it, I tot it was high time I went there to check it out myself, considering that different folks have different taste. Besides, it was ages since I went there (altho I remember the food to be above average).

    Sad to say I was disapppointed too. The portion has gotten smaller, the pricing exorbitant and the service nothing to shout about.

    With the many makan places mushrooming all over Penang, these folks need to either pull up their socks or have their staff 'catching mosquitos' instead of serving customers. :)

  2. Anonymous // Oct 19, 2008, 11:33:00 PM  

    i think is good for u to try out something new rather than stick to the old menu. at least you know which is good and which is not. see, now i knew those are not good and next time i go, i will not order that! save my money! hahaha.

  3. -j- // Oct 20, 2008, 8:25:00 AM  

    i don't like this place anymore. the food there is no longer as good as it used to be

  4. Christina Kim // Oct 20, 2008, 8:53:00 AM  

    Ever since my last disappointing incident and their lousy service at their outlet, I have not gone back...and that was like, almost 1 year ago. I just don't like this place anymore....hard to change my mind.

  5. Allie // Oct 20, 2008, 9:35:00 AM  

    ellen por,
    Ya. They need to improve else they are losing they customers.

    allenooi,
    Haha.. yaya.. I am the genuine pig for this round :-p

    Duckie & Christy,
    I've crossed them out in my makan list too.

  6. minchow // Oct 20, 2008, 11:06:00 AM  

    That's a real shame! It's so typical of restaurant chains who grow too big too fast and forget to keep quality consistent. Oh well, on to the next place then!

  7. New Kid on the Blog // Oct 20, 2008, 11:57:00 AM  

    Hmmm... didn't know their standard has dropped. The main branch still keep up their standard.. thank god for that.

  8. CRIZ LAI // Oct 20, 2008, 12:53:00 PM  

    That's the problem of having too many outlets and only one experience chef. As I would always say, you can give a person the same ingredients but the taste would not be the same. It all lies in the cooking method and "wok hei".

    http://crizfood.blogspot.com/

  9. cariso // Oct 20, 2008, 4:10:00 PM  

    You know what? I once blogged about my disappointment on this TCM and somebody by anonymous condemned me "tiam tiam"! Now with so many of you saying the same comment, I believe it should not be related to individual liking anymore. Right?!

  10. Anonymous // Oct 20, 2008, 7:31:00 PM  

    *hi^5 Cariso* :D

  11. Allie // Oct 20, 2008, 8:52:00 PM  

    550ml jar of faith,
    Ya. wonder why they standard drop so much!

    NKOB,
    Where's their main branch located?

    Criz,
    The dishes that we had that day totally don't hv any wok hei at all...

    Cariso,
    Ya. Seems like other people also agree on the bad quality of the food.

  12. Anonymous // Oct 21, 2008, 9:34:00 AM  

    sometimes is like that....maybe they might have change chef or something....in fact, the most difficult part of any business is to retain the quality.

  13. Little Inbox // Oct 21, 2008, 11:26:00 AM  

    Not long ago I tried their mee suah kor and seafood tom yam there (Sunway Tunas). To me, the mee suah kor still maintain their standard, and also I quite like the seafood tom yam lor.

  14. Wendy // Mar 10, 2009, 6:40:00 AM  

    discovered your blog from Penang Tua Pui. The last time i dined in there was 10 years ago, the quality was still good, but pricey!! Since then I never went back to this place and started to cook my own mi sua kor!! I will post the recipe soon!!

    http://theadventuresofgiggle.blogspot.com/