Hong Kong style breakfast like we always watch it in TVB drama - porridge, yau char kuai, soya bean and etc.

We ventured our way at Mongkok and came across this small char chan teng (西记粥店) selling varieties of porridge and varieties of fried 'dim sum'.

We ordered theng jai chuk (艇仔粥). The porridge is very smooth but the taste is so so. In the porridge, some octopus can be found. This is different from what I ate at KL. The one I tasted before consist of some roasted peanuts and fried anchovies in it. This makes the porridge more fragrant. This one tasted quite plain.

Char leung - something very special to me. The yau char kuai is wrapped with plain chee cheung fun. Some soy sauce as seasoning. You can eat this with peanut butter sauce or sweet sauce too.

Steam raddish cake. This one tasted too plain for me.
Yau char kuai. Yummy. The yau char kuai there is quite long. Very crispy with fluffy dough inside. I am a fan of yau char kuai anyway...

I forgot what's the name of this ler. This one is quite similar with yau char kuai except the filling inside is more compact. I like this too.

What a perfect breakfast with a cup of warm soya bean.

There's a similar shop located at Singapore. This shop is open by a friend of the HK shop owner. According to the SG shop owner, then HK shop owner share his receipe with him.

The SG shop name is 西记油条, located at Marseling, Woodlands.

6 comments

  1. CRIZ LAI // Oct 14, 2008, 11:27:00 AM  

    Why suddenly I see so many porridge posts all around after I have posted up my congee recipe?? :P

    Anyway, since you are a YCK fansie, you should try this combination. My recommendation, get them from Cintra Street (previously from opposite - the People's Park). You can either dip it in thick hot local black coffee or eat with perut ikan. My recommendation, get the nyonya dish from Pulau Tikus market in the morning. I normally but some baby shrimps and add them into the dish... typical me.. LOL!

    http://crizfood.blogspot.com/

  2. -j- // Oct 14, 2008, 12:59:00 PM  

    eat yck with perut ikan?! i've never tried that before!!! must go try. but looks like the hk yck is shorter and more compact!!! i kinda like the crispier ones

  3. Anonymous // Oct 14, 2008, 1:44:00 PM  

    plain type?... hmm...

    may be u get use to the heavy taste at Msia....

    hee hee...

    i love HK food too... really need to plan a trip there....

  4. Allie // Oct 14, 2008, 4:17:00 PM  

    Criz,
    I tried to dip in read bean tong sui but never try in black coffee. But perut ikan? ... hmm... must think twice.. hehe

    Duckie,
    The HK one is crispy too.

    Penangtuapui,
    Ya. I think I'm get used to the heavy taste in Msia.

  5. Anonymous // Oct 15, 2008, 2:57:00 AM  

    I am going to s'pore soon and would like to try out the shop u mentioned. do you have the full address?

    i love yau char koay with kopi o. oh my, the taste is just amazing!

  6. Allie // Oct 16, 2008, 9:05:00 AM  

    Allenooi,
    The address is:

    Blk 20 Marsiling Lane
    #01-192 (Food Centre)