Yea. You read it correctly. It's a loh mai kai in a pau which they called it 'kai wo pau (鸡窝包)'. This one was featured in A Taste with Jason program.

This shop is located near IMU - International Medical University @ Sri Petaling. But it wasn't my luck as I went there twice, both around 12pm but this pau has been sold out. But along the street there are a few dim sum restaurants selling this type of pau. As that was the last day I were at KL, it left no choice for me but to buy from another restaurant instead of the one recommended by Axian (Jason).

This is how it look like on top. See the hole on top of the pau, there you can find mushroom and salted egg yolk which is not a usual ingredient in a normal loh mai kai. At the bottom, it looks like the below. Inside there are normal ingredients we can find in loh mai kai. It tasted good. The glutinuous rice is soft with some 'juice' from the chicken and char siew. Yummy.
The restaurant recommended by Jason is:

RESTORAN CLAN 140,JLN RADIN ANUM,SRI PETALING (Tel: 019-3825455)

This restaurant is open for breakfast and also dinner time. The 鸡窝包 is sold in the morning and night as well. I should have cut this pau into half and snap a picture before I eat it. But I only thought of it when I'm almost finish with the pau. Aiyo...

15 comments

  1. Anonymous // Oct 16, 2008, 12:19:00 PM  

    A new way of eating pau and loh mai kai... two in one. Seems to be the in thing now.

  2. Anonymous // Oct 16, 2008, 3:46:00 PM  

    I had this just before Raya but it was in Pan Ki Dim Sum Restaurant... now I know where else to try it, hehe

  3. CRIZ LAI // Oct 16, 2008, 6:49:00 PM  

    This is something different. I would like to try that when I'm down there. Thanks for sharing :)

    http://crizfood.blogspot.com/

  4. Anonymous // Oct 16, 2008, 8:24:00 PM  

    Hi Allie, first time visiting your blog. Great to know there's some innovation in Dim Sum....hope will get a chance to try it!

  5. Anonymous // Oct 16, 2008, 10:01:00 PM  

    wow... 2 in one.... eng eng cheng cheng... one time can eat 2 type.... hee hee

  6. New Kid on the Blog // Oct 17, 2008, 7:54:00 AM  

    this is new to me... :)

  7. Allie // Oct 17, 2008, 9:31:00 AM  

    CK Lam,

    Ya. This is very in in KL now. Yet to spread to PG.

    Vkeong,
    Where's Pan Ki Dim Sum? Is it nice?

    Criz,
    Try to go earlier if you were to try as it finish fast.

  8. Allie // Oct 17, 2008, 9:33:00 AM  

    simplegirl,
    Thanks for dropping by!

    Penangtuapui,
    Hehe... but will it enough for your guys? hehe

    NOKB,
    something new to me too. :-)

  9. Anonymous // Oct 17, 2008, 12:28:00 PM  

    Tks for sharing this, Allie. Now I know where to get it in KL.

    I first saw this 'beehive' pau (I call it that for the simple reason that my 1st tot was of a beehive when my eyes caught sight of it) in the famous FOH SAN Restaurant in Ipoh. Regretted not trying it. Saw it much, much later when my tummy was already super full with other dim sum dishes. *regret gila-gila*

    If anyone is entrepreneurial enuf to bring it over to Penang island, lots of thamciak folks like us will be flocking to it like bees to honey! :)

  10. Lingzie // Oct 17, 2008, 12:54:00 PM  

    this looks really interesting! hopefully the trend will spread to penang really soon! so we penangites no need to go to kl to have it! :)

  11. Allie // Oct 17, 2008, 3:31:00 PM  

    Eleen Por,
    Thanks for dropping by!

    Other than this kai wo pau, there's also some other varieties of beehive pau sold there. There are tasty too.

    Lingzie,
    Ya. hopefully this trend will spread to PG.

  12. cariso // Oct 17, 2008, 4:15:00 PM  

    Is this similar to one of those at Foh San Dim Sum?

  13. Anonymous // Oct 19, 2008, 9:46:00 PM  

    looks special to me! will it be too full after eating that? i think i saw almost the same photo from somewhere else, dim sum in foo shan in ipoh. i think they also have similar dish.

  14. Anonymous // Oct 19, 2008, 11:30:00 PM  

    Folks,
    It's confirmed that this 'beehive pau' (Sorry lah, me banana. Cannot remember the Chinese name no matter how many times I'm told of it. So easier to refer to it by the nickname I gave it) is the same type served at Ipoh's famous FOH SAN restaurant.

    I rang up my Ipoh fren and she confirmed that it's there - Loh Mai Kai wrapped inside a beehive pau.

    Sigh, I am *still* regretting not trying it that time when I laid eyes on it. If only my tummy wasn't so full then. :(

  15. Allie // Oct 20, 2008, 9:25:00 AM  

    Allenooi,
    If you have it for breakfast with other dim sum, then it'll be too full but if you have if for dinner, the portion is just right.

    Eleen por,
    It's so good of you to confirm this with your Ipoh friend. Thanks!
    Hm.. Then must go try at Ipoh d. Wonder if it taste as good as this one ?